Tips to Cure the “Keto Flu”
The “keto flu” is something that many keto-dieters are familiar with and might even hold a person back from actually starting their ketogenic journey. It is one of the first things that comes to mind when talking about the keto diet, but often seems worse than it really it is! While of course, the symptoms of the keto flu can be uncomfortable, it is important to remember that they are temporary. There are a number of steps you can take to prevent these symptoms from dragging on.
But, before we look at tips to cure the keto flu, let’s talk about what the keto flu actually is.
What is the Keto Flu?
The keto flu occurs when your body is adapting to your new way of eating. When you significantly restrict your carbohydrate intake, symptoms like dizziness, nausea, stomach cramping and other flu-like symptoms can occur. Remember that this is temporary! The symptoms start to subside once your body adjusts to the carbohydrate restriction.
If you’re in the middle of dealing with the keto flu, or you’re nervous about starting the ketogenic diet because of the dreaded keto flu, here are tips to help combat those symptoms and help you feel better faster.
5 Tips to Cure the Keto Flu
- Stay Hydrated: When you switch to a ketogenic diet, your body starts to use the stored glycogen in your liver and muscles for energy which can cause them to hold onto water. This can lead to dehydration and make the keto flu worse. Be sure to stay on top of your water intake.
- Increase Sodium & Potassium (Electrolytes): On top of staying hydrated, you will also want to make sure that you are getting enough electrolytes. As insulin decreases, sodium and potassium will also decrease. You will want to replenish these. A good way to do that is to sip on bone broth or unsweetened coconut water.
- Get Enough Sleep: Getting enough sleep is one of the best ways to offset symptoms. When you are sick, your body needs sleep to recover. The same goes for the keto flu. If you are sleep deprived, the cortisol levels in your body will increase which will only make your symptoms worse. Be sure to get enough sleep to keep hormone levels in check and to help your body rest and repair.
- Eat Enough Fat: Since you are significantly restricting your carbohydrate intake, eating enough fat on the ketogenic diet is critical to feel your best. Some excellent sources of healthy fat include avocado, nuts, seeds, beef, eggs, and cheese.
- Do Light Exercise: While exercise may be the last thing you want to do when you are feeling sick, light exercise may actually help you feel better as you get over the keto flu hump. Exercise will help the fat burning process which will help to jump start ketosis. Remember that your body is going through a major adjustment, so anything high intensity should be avoided. Overdoing it could make your symptoms worse.
The biggest tip is to remember that the keto flu is temporary! Getting your mind right is an essential part of getting past the keto flu. Focusing on how much better you’ll feel once you’re past the flu symptoms will make it easier to get through. By following these tips you’ll help give your body that extra push to get past this initial phase. You’ll be well on your way to having more energy, less brain fog, and feeling better than you ever have before.